Devon in focus

  • Share
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email a friend

    Please enter your own name and your friend's email address below and we will email them a link to this page.


    Cancel


    This email address will only be used this once to send your friend a link to this page. No record will be kept, and the email address will not be shared with any third party.
  • Print this page

Cullompton Town in Devon

Photograph of Cullompton

Location

Cullompton lies adjacent to the M5 motorway in East Devon. The town is known for its orchards and vineyards and was formerly a centre of the cider trade in Devon.

The Parish of Cullompton extends some seven miles along the valley of the River Culm, covering nearly 8000 acres, with about 8000 inhabitants.

Columtune was probably a Saxon settlement. The Saxon word \'tun\' means town or settlement. Columtune simply means the town on the Culm.

In 549 AD St Columba, an Irish Saint preached the Word of God in the area. It is highly likely that the name St Columba has been preserved in the name of the town - Columba\'s Town. (Columba is the Latin for dove).

Columtune became part of the personal property of the House of Wessex by the time of Alfred the Great. In 872, the Saxon king, Alfred the Great, bequeathed Columtune and its lands to his son, Ethelward.

In 1020, the manor and lands of Cullompton, which was then known as Colitina, belonged to the Lady Gytha. She was a Danish Princess who was the widow of Earl Godwin and the mother of King Harold. King Harold was later to be defeated and killed at the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

The following year, 1067, William the Conqueror passed through the \'villa\' of Colitina, on his way to besiege Exeter. Lady Gytha fled to Exeter where she owned much of the land (including St Olaf\'s Church). The city fell 18 days later to the superior Norman soldiers of William I. William then divided up the land he had confiscated and gave it to his Norman barons. The manor of Cullompton (Colitina), together with Langford and Ponsford, he gave to Baldwin, the favourite nephew of his wife.

It was later granted by King Richard 1 to Richard de Clifford and by King John, in 1199 or 1200 to his brother, Walter de Clifford.

Events near Cullompton

Thu, 26 (ca. 16 km)

Bampton Charter Fair

Thu, 2 Aug (ca. 14 km)

Honiton Agricultural Show

Thu, 25 (ca. 16 km)

Bampton Charter Fair

Thu, 31 (ca. 16 km)

Bampton Charter Fair

arrow All Devon events

Dining out near Cullompton

Local Accommodation

Cottages

Cottage Holidays

There is a great choice of cottages for rent in the local area. Take a look at the beautiful cottages in Cullompton, Tiverton, Exeter and Ottery St Mary.

Holiday Parks

Holiday Parks

Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:

arrowCullompton

arrowHoniton

arrowCrediton

arrowSidmouth

Hotels

Hotels

Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns:

	arrowCullompton

	arrowTiverton

	arrowOttery St Mary

	arrowHoniton

Caravans

Caravan Holidays

In the vicinity is a choice of camping and caravan sites offering high quality, affordable holiday accommodation. Consider camps in Exmoor, South Molton, Moretonhampstead and Newton Abbot.

Nearby Attractions

Information

Contact

Newsletter

About us

Privacy policy

Cookies

Advertise

Promote events

Advertising options

 

Follow us

Facebook

Twitter

 

Related sites

Cornwall in Focus

Somerset in Focus

Dorset in Focus

A SouthWest in Focus brand
© Shimbo 2000 - 2017

© http://www.devoninfocus.co.uk 2000 - 2017