Abbots Bickington village, Devon
Abbots Bickington is a small village in North Devon, southwest of Bulkworthy and about a mile northwest of Woodford Bridge.
The village was held by Goda in the time of King Edward before the Norman Conquest of 1066 and is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086-7 as Bichetone, when it was held by Gerald the Chaplain.
In the 12th century the manor was given to Hartland Abbey by Geoffrey de Dinant, as part of the abbey's initial endowment. It remained as property of the abbey until dissolution in 1539.
The village is located in the Torridge local authority area. Historically it formed part of Black Torrington Hundred. It falls within Holsworthy Deanery for ecclesiastical purposes. A parish history file is held in Holsworthy Library.
The population was 68 in 1801, 61 in 1901, and just 35 in 2001. Because of low population there is no parish council; instead there is a parish meeting.
The village church has thirteenth century lancet windows and fifteenth century stained glass, featuring St Anthony and St Christopher. There is also a monument to Thomas Pollard.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: