Abbotskerswell village, Devon
Abbotskerswell is a pretty village in South Devon. It lies two miles south of Newton Abbot and seven miles from Torquay, just off the A381.
The village is recorded in the Domesday Book as 'Carsuella' in the ownership of the Abbot of Horton, in Dorset.
The name -kerswell means cress spring. In 1086 it had a population of less than one hundred. In the 2001 Census the population had risen to 1,515. Abbotskerswell village was a centre for growing apples used in the making of cider. Henley's Devonshire Cider was made by a company based in nearby Newton Abbot from apples grown in the extensive orchards around the village, and their presses were here too.
The village church, dedicated to St. Mary, was affected by the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII. Old treasures, particularly a large badly damaged medieval statue assumed to be of the Virgin and Child, have been found within the church, and work has been undertaken to restore them.
Today, the village has several listed buildings, a small shop and hair salon. Its two pubs, The Court Farm Inn, which was previously a farm, and was converted to a pub in the 20th century when the old Tradesmans Arms closed, and the older Butchers Arms, which was originally a smithy.
The village post office was closed by Royal Mail in 2008, it is now a coffee house.
Abbotskerswell Priory, just north of the parish boundary, was home to an Order of Augustinian nuns from 1861 to 1983 and was then converted into apartments and cottages for elderly people.
In September, the village hosts the annual 'Abbfest' Beer and Food Festival which celebrates Devon food and drink.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns:
There's plenty more to explore in this area, too! Find more attractions and things to do nearby: