Cheriton Bishop village, Devon
Cheriton Bishop is a village situated on the northern borders of Dartmoor National Park. It lies roughly halfway between Exeter and Okehampton.
The history of Cheriton Bishop can be traced back over a thousand years. Of Saxon origins, the village was certainly established by 1086 since it is mentioned in the Doomsday Book as 'Ceritona' which is probably derived from 'Cyrig' = church and 'ton' = farm. The suffix 'Bishop' was added in the 13th Century.
Many people living in the village commute daily to work in Crediton (6 miles) or Exeter (10 miles). Its location in the heart of Devon makes it ideal for touring the County.
The current church, St Mary's, originates from the 13th century.
The village has a population of around 800, it has two public houses, the Old Thatch and the Mulberry (previously the Good Knight Inn). It is also served by a village shop, doctor's surgery and primary school. There is also a cafe and guest house on the outskirts of the village called Woodleigh Coach House, towards the A30 near Woodleigh Junction.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: