Doddiscombsleigh village, Devon
Doddiscombsleigh is a small scattered village and parish about five miles southwest of Exeter. The parish includes the hamlets of Lowleigh and Leigh-Cross.
In the Domesday Book of 1086, Doddiscombsleigh was known as 'Terra Godeboldi' under the reign of one Godbold the Bowman. Town Barton was the Capital Barton (Manor House) for Godbold`s Domesday Estates. This makes it one of the very rare instances of a property truly being specifically traceable to where a Doomsday owner dwelt.
The manor of Doddiscombsleigh was known as Legh-Peverel in church records of the 14th Century; the latter name was dropped when it changed hands from the Legh to the Doddescomb family. The parish now belongs to the Palk, Rodd, Buckingham, Pitman, Archer, and other families. The Town or Manor House, built in 1604, is the pleasant seat of E.G. Rodd. St Michael's Church is a fine old structure, with much stained glass in its windows, and an embattled tower, containing three bells.
Manganese was extracted in the parish up until about 1850.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: