Manaton village, Devon
The village of Manaton lies on the southeast of Dartmoor National Park. The picturesque moorland village is a centre for walking and cycling and is unusual in that it is split into two parts, half a mile apart. The upper part contains the traditional hub of the village, with its church, Village Green, the Cricket Field, Village Hall and the sites of the original pub and school. The lower part contains the modern pub á€“ the Kestor Inn á€“ and a variety of housing, both ancient and modern, which grew up around the settlements of Water and Freelands. It is also home to Mellowmead Field - a wild flower meadow and recently planted orchard.
The recommended map is for exploring the area is the Outdoor Leisure No. 28 á€“ Dartmoor (1:25000).
The 15th century church, dedicated to St Winifred stands in a prominent spot to the north of the village green. Three of the six bells in its tower are medieval - markings on the oldest indicate a date of around 1440-50, making them at least as ancient as the tower itself. They are still being rung today on a regular basis by the local team of bellringers. Its rood screen was carved around 1500, but as is the case with many old English Churches, the figures were defaced during the Reformation. A granite cross once stood in the churchyard, but was destroyed in the mid-19th century by the vicar, Rev. John Charles Carwithen. He did so because he disapproved of what he considered to be a superstitious custom of carrying coffins three times around the cross before burial.
Between 1903 and 1923, the writer John Galsworthy and his wife frequently stayed in a farmhouse called Wingstone in the village. It was here that he was inspired by the nearby Jay's Grave and its legend to write his short story The Apple Tree in 1916.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: