Tedburn St Mary village, Devon
Tedburn St Mary is a village situated seven and a half miles west of Exeter. It had a population of approximately 1500 in the 2001 Census.
Just off the A30 on the way to Okehampton, the parish has a wide mixture of housing. Ranging from traditional thatched cottages to modern housing developments, mobile home developments at Pathfinder Village and Woodlands, and a sheltered housing scheme for the older generation who wish to remain in the village.
There is a Village School, two Churches and two pubs, and a large number of businesses and sports and social organisations.
The original village was situated in and around the Parish Church of Saint Mary (dating from the thirteenth century). What we now consider to be the centre of the village was known as 'Taphouse', referring to an inn at the crossroads where the Crediton and Exeter roads meet, and it was Taphouse which eventually came to be called Tedburn St Mary. The village has always been an important staging post between London and Cornwall, and is particularly proud of the fact that the messenger who brought the news of the victory at the Battle of Trafalgar stopped off en route from Falmouth to London at the King's Arms. The Parish of Tedburn St Mary includes the village of Tedburn St Mary and Pathfinder Village.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: