Umberleigh village, Devon
Umberleigh is a a small village in North Devon. It lies on the site of a former large manor. It was historically an ecclesiastical parish of itself, but following the building of the church at Atherington it became a part of that parish. It is part of the civil parish of Chittlehampton, which is mostly located on the east side of the River Taw.
The manor of Umberleigh had its own entry in the Domesday Book of 1086 and was entirely situated on the west side of the River Taw. It surrounded the Nunnery which was given by William the Conqueror to the Holy Trinity Abbey in Caen, Normandy. The site was later occupied by the manor house of Umberleigh, the present Georgian manifestation of which, a large and grand farmhouse, is known as 'Umberleigh House'. Umberleigh Chapel was founded in about 1275 next to the manor house. It is a ruin now, the single remaining wall forming the back wall of a farm implements shed.
Transport Links: Umberleigh railway station lies on the Tarka Line north of Portsmouth Arms and south of Chapelton. The service offers a direct connection to both Exeter and Barnstaple. All train services are provided by First Great Western and is very popular, especially in summer. Umberleigh is just 6 miles from Barnstaple on A377 Exeter road. It lies 8 miles from both South Molton and Torrington on B3227.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: