Zeal Monachorum village, Devon
The unusual village name of Zeal Monachorum comes from Latin, it roughly translates to 'Cell of the Monks'. It is a village and civil parish in Mid Devon District, about nine miles northwest of Crediton and 18 miles northwest of Exeter, situated on the River Yeo. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 398.
The parish of Zeal Monachorum covers an area of almost 3,400 acres (1370 hectares) at a height of 280 - 640 feet (200 m) above sea level (85 á€“ 195 metres). It lies at the centre of Devon, situated between the A3072 Okehampton to Crediton road on the south and the B3220 Torrington to Morchard Road on the north, about halfway between Crediton and Okehampton. The village itself is on the south-facing hillside of the Yeo valley looking towards Dartmoor.
The civil parish includes a number of hamlets such as East Leigh, Leigh Cross and Waie.
A mile to the southwest of the village is Reeve Castle, a large romantic turreted house dated 1900 and restored from a ruinous state in the late twentieth century.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: